Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tasty Tuesday

Hello, friends! Whew...it's been too long. To be honest I've just had a lot on my mind lately, and haven't really been in the mood to write. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things-so just please bare with me. In the meantime, I wanted to begin a new weekly series called Tasty Tuesday. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, Jeff and I are being very purposeful about eating healthy, and I wanted to share some very tasty recipes with you. First up...
 
 
 
Cheesy Italian-Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
 
 
And, the best part- you can make them in your crock pot :) The recipe comes from Fitness Magazine, and let me tell you, they are delicious. I served mine with Italian bread drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and spices. (Olive oil, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and Italian seasoning.) Here's the recipe...
 
Ingredients:
 
1/4 instant brown rice
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 cups reduced-sodium shredded mozzarella
4 red bell peppers, tops removed, cored and seeded
Nonstick cooking spray
 
Directions:
 
1.) Cook rice according to package directions, omitting any fat or salt.
 
2.) In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked rice, turkey, Italian seasoning, onion, Parmesan, 1/4 cup tomatoes and 1 cup mozzarella. Fill peppers with rice mixture.
 
3.) Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray and place filled peppers upright in cooker. Spoon remaining tomatoes over and between peppers; top each pepper with 1/4 cup mozzarella. Cook on low for 8 hours. (I cooked mine on high for 4 hours.)
 
And that's it! It's that easy :) Try them for yourself, and I promise you won't be disappointed. Happy eating!
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment