Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Not Home Yet

This world is only temporary. How I long for the day when I am truly home with my Heavenly Father.
 
 
     I love this quote from C.S. Lewis as it reminds me that this world is not my home. Despite the many things that bring me satisfaction, my soul will never truly find rest until I am home with Him; safe and completely made complete. Don't get me wrong, I love and cherish the life He has given me on this side of Heaven, but I can sense a deeper longing for Him that will not be satisfied until I'm with Him...face to face...in His sweet presence. The Bible describes us as, "aliens," or, "pilgrims," who are just passing through. We are not to get too comfortable with what we have on this earth because it is only temporary. This is why we are called to store up treasures in Heaven where moth, nor rust, nor thieves can destroy. I like how The Message translates it...19-21"Don't hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust or—worse!—stolen by burglars. Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it's safe from moth and rust and burglars. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being. (Matthew 6:19-21..emphasis mine.) So I ask...what does your stockpile look like? Is it full of material possessions that are going to fade away one day? Or is it full of Heavenly treasures? Serving the least of these, loving your neighbor as yourself, looking after the widows and orphans, and being the hands and feet of Christ. Believe me, I am preaching to myself here, too! I don't know about you, but I think it would be really sad to store up all of our treasures here on earth, then get to Heaven one day and realize that there is so much I missed out on. It has been made all too easy for us to buy into the lie that this life..this world..is all there is. Believe me there is SO much more! He offers so much more; eternal life with Him in Heaven...our true home.


 

17 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Jamie's link up. Such great writing! I'm a big Brooke Fraser fan too. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    Thanks so much for visiting. I'm so glad you decided to follow along! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley,

      I'm a pastor in Nashville who came across your blog. I'd like to quote you in a church newsletter article that I'm writing. May I have your last name? If you don't want to share it publicly, please e-mail me at justinmiddletn@yahoo.com.

      Thanks!

      Justin G.

      Delete
  3. I love CS Lewis too- such great ideas. I look forward to Heaven too, nothing here can really satisfy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely message and a good reminder for me. Thank you. Came by from 5 minute Friday. Behind The Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quote from CS Lewis. Makes me think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quote!(I'm a big CS Lewis fan!) Stopping by from Beholding Glory, blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving this. It really is true about the treasures we cling to and the true treasures He alone can give us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore C.S. Lewis' quotes, too. HOPE you have a great SONday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. stopping in from Jen’s...I love the quote...and i to want to live a life...putting my deposits in heaven...not here on earth. blessings to you~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quote too and my daughter left a Brooke Fraser CD in my car recenlty because she thought I would like it. I love it!
    Your words are well written and inspiring. I am so glad I stopped by. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Just reading this quote made me choke up! I so frequently forget this!

    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."
    Philippians 1:21

    Thanks for sharing!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love that CS Lewis quote, Ashley. Thank you for encouraging us today, and for sharing at our (heart)&(home) gathering again!
    in Him,
    lauren
    www.mercyinkblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoy reading C. S. Lewis too. I think he makes it easy for us by saying exactly what we feel in our hearts. The line you quoted is exactly an example of that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is something we all need to be reminded of often. Thank you for the reminder.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete